In this lovely, easy-to-use guide to decluttering, the beloved author of The Happiness Project shows us how to take control of our stuff - and, by extension, our lives.
Gretchen Rubin knows firsthand that creating order can make our lives happier, healthier, more productive, and more creative. But for most of us, a rigid, one-size-fits-all solution doesn't work. When we tailor our approach to suit our own particular challenges and habits, we can find inner calm.
With a sense of fun, and a clear idea of what's realistic for most people, Rubin suggests dozens of manageable tips and tricks for creating a more serene, orderly environment, including:
- Never label anything "miscellaneous."
- Ask yourself, "Do I need more than one?"
- Don't aim for minimalism.
- Remember: If you can't retrieve it, you won't use it.
- Stay current with a child's interests.
- Beware the urge to "procrasticlear."
By getting rid of things we don't use, don't need, or don't love, we free our minds (and our shelves) for what we truly value.